The ABR facility in Moss Vale has been built to achieve a high quality, secure environment for the animals with minimal environmental impact and low facility operating costs.
- The buildings are highly insulated to minimise the cost of temperature regulation.
- Nine hundred solar collector tubes have been deployed on the roof to provide solar hot water heating.
- The plant is natural gas fired rather than electrical.
- High efficiency chillers with frictionless bearings save power.
- High efficiency fluorescent tubes or LEDs are used.
- The design of the administration building encourages the use of natural ventilation and has a hydronically heated concrete floor.
- Rainwater is collected from the roof and stored for use in toilets and steam production. Site run-off water is collected in dams with reed-bed filtration systems and used to maintain the landscaped gardens.
- The facility is surrounded by extensive plantings of trees, grasses and shrubs.
- The soiled bedding from cages is recycled as compost.
- The facility participates in a waste-recycling programme.
- A recycling programme for mouse transport containers is offered to Partner Institutes. On each delivery the facility van will collect transport shippers used in previous deliveries and return them to ABR for sterilisation and re-use.